Elder Palmer (back row, 6th from left) is serving in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Kinshasa mission for
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.


Eric returned home on August 27th, 2011!!!!!

He was transferred to Yaounde, Cameroon on August 13th, 2010.


Links listed on the left are from the senior couples and Mission President!

Comments in italics are clarifications from Mom.




Thursday, December 31, 2009

Eric's email of December 31st, 2009

Hello,

Hope everyone is doing great and still enjoying the holidays and break from school and work and stuff. So today is p-day, the only break we get, and we are actually staying the night over at the Willis' again. This is because, they don't want to drive back tonight, because it will be crazy. So we will go back in the morning and still have a regular work day, but yeah, apparently Cameroon parties the New Year pretty good. And I can tell you more, but I am sure there will be plenty of drinking.

Ok, well it is a good thing you didn't buy an Eto'o jersey and try to send it to me, because the person who bought me it for Christmas got 2 Eto'o jerseys for 6000 CFA, which is like $12. And I know you would have spent a lot more. I haven't got my cleats yet, but I am going to do that on a p-day in the near future. But we have a soccer ball, and we got an American football for Christmas, so we plan on playing more sports in the future.

I wish I could wake up without an alarm clock...(That means he is sleeping, even in the heat!)

So, I never got the second package from Grandma and Grandpa. I did get the one with the news section about Real Salt Lake, and that was sweet. But no other package yet. If they do send another one, I would suggest to make sure that no one can feel around and see what is in it, do something like you did with the laminated ensign pages. But for my companions, we all got a paper bag thing from the mission president and his wife, and also all got a bag of beef jerky that one of the Willis daughters brought when they visited, oh and also a big Hershey's chocolate bar. (Christmas Presents)

All well, oh well, same thing.

So the taxis we take are usually pretty cruddy. In the back seats there are rarely seat belts. I actually sat in the front today and there was one. And this morning we actually got in a tiny fender bender, because the person in front of our taxi backed into us. And then naturally everyone else around came over and started talking. And then somebody paid 3000 CFA and we left. In town they had closed off a bunch of the roads and the driver didn't know exactly where we told him to go, so it took half an hour to get there. But simply, these taxis are pretty junky, but as long as they run, they will drive them.

So for bugs, there are ants all over the apartment. They are always crawling on the wall somewhere. There is the occasional cockroach. They said they had a pretty big spider before I got here, but besides that not much. Outside there are obviously some bugs too, but mostly just flies, and some are a bit bigger. But nothing that weird. There are these lizards everywhere, though.

So as you know, we are getting ready for our baptismal service on Saturday. We are planning for 4 people to get baptized. We have done 3 of the 4 interviews, and will be doing the other one tomorrow. But I'll you more about that next week after everything is done.

So yesterday I did something for the first time - we got to teach with the Willis'! They are seriously the best senior missionaries ever. Even though they are the only ones I've known, that is also what everyone else tells me. But we taught this guy William with them. William is an anglophone, who is about 45 years old, and he has his business off the side of Ancienne Route, just the main road in Bonaberi, and we have taught him all the missionary things and more, but he still won't come to church. So we thought bringing the Willis' would be good. But so we walk in his place, and the first thing that Elder Willis said was, "We love God." And if you knew Elder Willis that would probably be funnier. But it was a good lesson. We went over the Plan of Salvation with an emphasis on what we need to do here. But despite that, he didn't say he would be at church yet, so we are still struggling with that.

Also yesterday, Elder Terneiden, my comp, broke the key to our front door. The stupid lock is impossible to turn, and we were trying to lock it for like 10 minutes, then he just tried to do it with his foot and basically kicked the key into 2 pieces. But that's ok. Then we threaded some dental floss from the door handle inside, over the balcony, through the window, and to the door handle on the other side so that it would sort of stay shut. I took a picture so I can send that.

But that's pretty much everything notable from this week. It is weird, we are already over half way through this transfer, and there will probably be a lot of changes in Douala. And I'm really hungry right now because I had no food this morning except for my beef jerky, so that is what I had for breakfast. But there will be good food at the Willis' thankfully.

So enjoy the rest of your break and all the new toys you have to play with!

Love,
Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment