Elder Palmer (back row, 6th from left) is serving in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Kinshasa mission for
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

Eric returned home on August 27th, 2011!!!!!

He was transferred to Yaounde, Cameroon on August 13th, 2010.

Links listed on the left are from the senior couples and Mission President!

Comments in italics are clarifications from Mom.

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Eric's email of November 12th, 2009

Well, I think I'll just start out by answering all the question I can find. I'll start taking more pictures so that you guys can see what things are like here. It is interesting.

So I don't know exactly the activity rates or anything, but I have heard about times where its hard to keep some members active. So I'll let you know, but I feel like the 3 that just got baptized are really solid. One even brought that up yesterday when we went to see him; how he was concerned how he might lose that drive to keep reading and going to church all the time. So we just gotta make sure they get a calling and have something to do at church.

So for email stuff, we can get on any website we want, and some missionaries get on facebook or their own email thing, like gmail. But I've decided I'm not gonna use facebook cuz it would be too distracting. But yes, I'm sure I could get on any site I want.

So for food, we eat lots of rice and beans, lots of egggs, and lots of spaghetti. Sometimes we make sautees. Every Sunday night one of the companionships is in charge of dinner, and both times so far it has been some kind of rice and beans thing. But a few times we have gone out. There is this avocado plate thing that is really good, and last night we went and got fish, with the head and everything still on. And you eat it by starting at the tail, on one side, and just pull the meat off and it usually comes off pretty easily, but sometimes you get bones. And then you flip it over and eat the other side like that. And you can eat the head, but I didn't feel like it. And there is this meat thing called soya, and one night we got a soya (I don't think I'm spelling it right) sandwich deal, and it was really good, but huge. I have a picture of it, I'll send it sometime. But they also have Coca Cola and Fanta, and this soda called d'jino that is my faovite. And this banana and pomplemousse soda. But nothing has really been the worst so far, but my favorite was probably the fish.

Well, it is supposed to be the dry season right now, but its not. 2 nights ago it was pretty bad, and I was getting hit in the face by the rain though the window, so I woke up and shut it. And the other 3 missionaries went outside and got all our clothes, but I was too tired to, and didn't care that much. And today it was raining pretty good until about an hour ago. So it is the dry season, allegedly, but not really. Oh, and it is dang hot, I sweat all day long.

The baptism went really well. I was one of the witnesses. At the church in town in Douala, where they actually have a church building, they have a font for the baptisms. And their church is pretty nice, they have fans all over the place. But in Bonaberi, we just have church at one of the member's house on the second floor. And one of the classes is outside on the balcony, and it started to storm and the curtains and stuff kept falling over until we just left them down. The chalkboard fell over twice, so it was kind of exciting.

So for laundry, we have a washing machine at our apartment, but no dryer. But the washing machine takes like ? hours to go through the shortest cycle, but we can do laundry all throughout the week. And then we just hang stuff out on the balcony to dry, and it will dry overnight, unless it rains.

Most Cameroonians are cool, a lot of the little kids yell "le blanc" or "white man". Yesterday, one of our investigators' kid (named Precious), saw me and my companion and said "white people!", gave us a hug, and took our hands and brought us inside. It was cool. But yes, it is hard to understand French, but I can usually talk about something gospel related if I know what we are talking about.

So I hope I answered all the questions. This was a good week I guess. I don't really know yet, cuz I've only had 2 weeks. But it is usually hardest when we first go out, from 11AM around 2 or 3 cuz it is way too hot, and bright, and humid, and I'm sweating like a pig. But after that I begin to enjoy it more, I don't know why exactly. About the taxis, they are crazy. Everyone here just tries to get where they are going as fast as possible. Lanes do not really exist, and everyone is always honking. The taxi we took today stalled out like 4 times, and he almost couldn't get his car to start in the middle of the intersection. I was impressed he was getting around with that car. But it's also way cheap, we get from Bonaberi to Bonapriso in about 15-20 minutes for something like $4, 2000 francs.

We have been visiting this person who got taught by the missionaries a couple weeks before I got here. He is in the hospital because he drive a moto (like a motorcycle taxi deal) and his foot got hit ba a car going the other way. His name is Godlove, and he is an anglophone, but when he starts talking fast it is a bit hard to understand him. We have visited him twice, and we will see him again on Friday.

We have had water pretty much every day the past week except on night, so its been pretty good. I usually take a shower as soon as I can when we get back, and one in the morning. Oh, and I expect all my shirts and pants to be disgusting by the end of my mission.

But that is pretty much everything going on right now. I'm glad everyone is doing well and it was good to hear from everyone. And I hope the Jazz improve....K, well thanks for all the thoughts and prayers, I love you guys!


No comments:

Post a Comment