Elder Palmer (back row, 6th from left) is serving in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Kinshasa mission for
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.


Eric returned home on August 27th, 2011!!!!!

He was transferred to Yaounde, Cameroon on August 13th, 2010.


Links listed on the left are from the senior couples and Mission President!

Comments in italics are clarifications from Mom.




Friday, June 24, 2011

Eric's Email of June 23, 2011

Alright, I just barely took a picture with Elder Wagman, so I’ll send the picture maintenant là. (Now.  But he didn't send it.)
            So we just had a good lesson with a Soeur.  Some of her problems or grudges she had again some people I think have been solved, and she isn’t sick right now, so she’s happy and didn’t chew me out too much today.  I think, basically we just need to have to most spiritually possible lessons for a while.  Apparently last week the Relief Society President Soeur Therèse, and Soeur Patricia visited her, and after a long visit, the sister was happy, and she said one day she would be baptized in the Church.  And, Preach My Gospel says to have spiritual lessons, talk and testify about the Restoration beaucoup.  So, I think that’s what we are gonna do.
            We also saw Soeur Christine and her 3 sons before her today.  They are fine, and especially her oldest son, Ignace, seems to be liking Church a lot.  Even a Sunday when Christine didn’t come, Ignace came by himself.  He has been ordained a deacon, wears his shirt and tie to Church, and found a bag for his Book of Mormon.  So that’s cool.
            We also had our last zone conference with President and Sister Headlee.  In less than 2 weeks they should be chez eux.  (Home)  It was a really good zone conference.  President Headlee got a DVD of a talk that Elder Holland gave somewhat recently at the MTC.  My favorite thing is how he applied the last chapter of John to us.  How, after Christ was resurrected and all this stuff, the apostles didn’t really know what to do, and then Peter who was basically chief, said “let’s go fishing”.  So they went fishing all night, didn’t get anything, then a man on the shore yelled out and said to cast their net to the right side I think, and they did, and they caught so many fish they couldn’t pull it in.  Then one of the apostles said, “It’s Him”.  Then Peter jumped over board and swam to the shore to get to Jesus.  Then, Jesus basically told him, that he can’t go back.  Peter can't go back to fishing.  And that’s when Peter became, well, converted I can say.  And so, Elder Holland basically told us all, missionaries, that after our mission, that we can’t go back to fishing.  So, that’s what stuck with me from zone conference.



             We also have a baptismal date for Frère Morris still for July 2nd.  And Elder Wagman corrected me and said that its spelled Maurice in French, but I still like Morris.  I think I talked about him last week.  Out of all the people I’ve met and taught, he is one of the best who have understood the Restoration.  I also believe now that he is receiving a testimony of that, because of the way he talks about it.  But especially about the restoration of the Priesthood.  And he is now in the book of Jacob.
            We also went au-champ-ing again this week.  But it was kind of weird, it was an ami de l’église who lives just behind in the Church.  So we were still in town in the quarter, but there was this random piece of place where they made a champ.  But, it was the same as any other time spent au champ.  I’m grateful for lawn mowers. 
            We have another new good investigator named Frère Pascal.  I like his French.  He has spent time in many European countries, so I guess that’s what influenced the way he talks.  Last Sunday we saw him on the road after Church.  He said he was going to come to Church, but then he didn’t.  Il nous a dit, “J’étais Presque empeché”.  (He said, "I was almost prevented")  I wondered why if he was just “presque” empeché-ed, why didn’t he come?  Yesterday we asked him again, he said the “il meurt d’envie”(he was dying of envy) to come.  If you heard his voice, it probably would be as amusing to you as it is to me.  I imagine that is what a French mob boss would sound like.  And, he is also progressing nicely.
            On Tuesday we also did a split.  Elder Wagman worked with Pierre Bissalla, a 17 year old convert of about 3 or so years.  He is a branch missionary, and knows how to explain the Restoration really well.  I worked with his older brother, Jean Bissalla, whose 19 and Elder Wilkins baptized about 6 months ago.  He doesn’t know as much as Pierre yet, but he has a really good testimony he shares about his family.  And then around 4 o’clock, Jean had to leave, but thankfully our 3 30 rendezvous was with Frère Martial, another member.  So he replaced Jean as my companion for the rest of the day.  Martial is also the man, and gave us about 4 coordonnées since last Monday.  He is also apparently engaged to a member of the Church from Angola, and they plan on getting married in the temple sometime soon.
            So, c’est ça.  And Elder WAgman and I are on diner tonight, so I got to send this and get out of here.
Je vous aime,
            - Elder Eric Palmer
To Mom:
Well, Mom, somebody built this stupid computer dumb, and my thumb drive can't fit into the slot, because the hardware was built dumb.  So, I'll finish emails here and see if there is a different kind of computer in this darn cyber.  (No pictures)
(Do you walk or take taxis more?  Do the taxis ever brake down?)  Here in Yaoundé we take more taxis than any other sector I've seen.  They have never broken down for me.
(Did you get to Morris' house yet?)  We haven't met Morris at his house or with his family yet.  But he wants to be baptized, so we are making progress, and either us or some branch leaders will get to his house soon I believe.
Je t'aime,
- Elder Eric Palmer
To Dad:
Answer to question number 1 about CNU.  Nope, no thought at all.  (School in Newport News)
(Are you serious about training for the half marathon?)  OK, for the half-marathon, I'm in.  I'll plan on starting to do our running again next week, Monday Wednesday and Friday.  I'm now living with Elder Hansen, Elder Tingey's companion.  He did cross country in high school, and Elder Buck once went on a run with him, and told me he wanted to die.  So, I bet Elder Hansen will be willing to do that with me.
(Have you heard about the Book of Mormon musical in NYC?  You may get questions about it on your flight home)  And about the 3rd question, no I don't care at all.  Yes, Grandpa Jerry mentioned one time, so I knew about.  Simplement, je n'en ai rien à dire.  (Simply, I have nothing to say)
Oh, and Scott didn't email, and I wanted to know what reading water meters means.  (Scott's great summer job)
Je t'aime,
- Elder Eric Palmer

No comments:

Post a Comment