Elder Palmer (back row, 6th from left) is serving in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Kinshasa mission for
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.


Eric returned home on August 27th, 2011!!!!!

He was transferred to Yaounde, Cameroon on August 13th, 2010.


Links listed on the left are from the senior couples and Mission President!

Comments in italics are clarifications from Mom.




Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Eric's email of August 8th, 2011-ONLY 2 P-DAY'S LEFT!!

Well, as you will read in Elder Wagman's email, at our normal cyber the darn power went out after 15 minutes.  So, I'm not going to rewrite all that I had.  Here is the basic summary.

- Frère Patrice goes to Douala tomorrow for one month to visit the family.  He also plans on introducing his family to the Church and the missionaries.  Today we had a lesson where each person shared a favorite scripture.  I shared Ether 12:27, "And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them."  Patrice shared the parable of the talents in Matthew 25,(too long to add) and Elder Wagman shared Alma 17:2-3. "Now these sons of Mosiah were with Alma at the time the angel first appeared unto him; therefore Alma did rejoice exceedingly to see his brethren; and what added more to his joy, they were still his brethren in the Lord; yea, and they had waxed strong in the knowledge of the truth; for they were men of a sound understanding and they had searched the scriptures diligently, that they might know the word of God.  But this is not all; they had given themselves to much prayer, and fasting; therefore they had the spirit of prophecy, and the spirit of revelation, and when they taught, they taught with power and authority of God."  I gave him one of the small cantiques.  (French Hymnbook)  Patrice bore an awesome testimony.

- The family of Frère Maurice is doing very well. His wife and one daughter are coming to Church and have a baptismal date for the 20th of this month.  The rest of the family comes to the lessons, but not Church yet.  Frère Maurice and one daughter attend institute.

- Had zone conference on Thursday about Ch.13 of Preach My Gospel.  I learned that being a new convert is like being a new missionary in Cameroon.  So, its not that hard for me anymore to imagine how hard or weird it is for a new convert.  And a new missionary and a new convert need the same 3 things according to President Hinckley to stay, I think.  We also had surprise interviews with Président Jameson via Skype.

- We are working with branch missionaries more that ever, thanks to summer vacation.

- Mormon Helping Hands is supposed to happen here on the 20th.

- Struggling.... I bought trucs(stuff) today.  I've got some cool clothes things for guys.  But, I wasn't sure if an african woman's dress would ever get worn.  If you do want one (Mom) you can tell me and I'll get it, but I wasn't sure if you would.

- L'Eglise est vraie.  (The Church is true)

Je vous aime,
- Elder Palmer
To Mom:
(Scott, Eric's brother, is going to college in 2 weeks and is feeling all grown up.  Did you feel grown up before you started college?)  Yes I felt grown up at college, but probably didn't act like it very much.  Now I feel more grown up, and hope I act a little bit more like it.

(What things did you wish you had taken for the dorms?)  For stuff for the dorm that I forgot that would be nice... no idea.  I only know what a missionary needs.

Je t'aime,
- Elder Eric Palmer
To Dad:
Ok, just so you know, my running kind of got messed up.  Actually really messed up.  We had an unexpected mid-transfer transfer, where my running partner got put in the other apartment in Yaoundé.  And, everyone else in my apartement right now is being too lazy to go running with me.  I'll probably start running about the apartement building, because I convinced Elder Tingey to come out with me.  Running in circles stinks though, espcially when its not that big.  So, I'll do my best.
Ok, for the quick questions.

1.  I don't have any questions.

2.  you can resend the calling card info if you want, just to be safe.

3.  Yeah, we went souvenir shopping today.  I think the most painful is over.

4.  Yes I'm healthy, just got jipped on the running thing.  Will do with the electronics.

5.  Yeah, and I need to get my drivers liscence renewed.  If its easier that Jacob keeps that cell phone, that works. Just so you know, I've been converted to your provident living, so whatever is cheapest.  (Eric is pretty cheap already, soooo......)

6.  That sample note works for me, I only have 5 minutes left.  Would "missionary work" not be better than "voluntary work" is my only idea.  And maybe "science" is better than "biology", because I don't know if that's exactly what I want to focus on.  But those are just little things.  That example sounds good.  It feels weird to have to try to talk to people about something that's not the Restored Gospel.  I don't have a resumé, but maybe there is one in Mom's folder of my stuff.  But that's a great idea, thanks for helping me get on the ball.  I hope I answered all the questions.

Je t'aime,
- Elder Eric Palmer

No comments:

Post a Comment