Elder Palmer (back row, 6th from left) is serving in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Kinshasa mission for
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.


Eric returned home on August 27th, 2011!!!!!

He was transferred to Yaounde, Cameroon on August 13th, 2010.


Links listed on the left are from the senior couples and Mission President!

Comments in italics are clarifications from Mom.




Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Eric's email of April 28th, 2011

Elder Tingey and I seriously just spent at least 4 hours cleaning our apartement and stuff.  Right now I am probably cleaner than I have been in a long time.
This morning we also went to play basketball by Carrefour Etoudi.  When we first got there, there was just us 2 and a few young kids.  But then a couple other people about our age showed up, so we played 2 on 2.  One was 6’3”, and the other was around 6’7”.  I played with the taller one.  And, even though we have been doing running and such, I’m still out of shape.  After about the 3rd game, I was ready for a breather, but no one else was.  In total we played 6 games, we only won 2.  Except for the second game, I was pretty useless.  But we stayed in the other games, mostly because this guy could dunk and also shoot 3s.  Elder Tingey wasn’t very happy with his teammate, though.  His teammate would not agree with me that Michael Jordan would choose a layup (or dunk in his case) than a 3 pointer if he had the choice.
                So we watched General Conference last weekend on Saturday and Sunday.  I watched it all in French.  And honestly, it was pretty hard to focus.  But after I asked Elder Nsimba if he understood everything well, and he said no.  The sound quality wasn’t very good, I think they duct taped a microphone to the projecter.  We had a good number of people show up, including a handful of amis de l’Eglise.
                Sunday after conference, the Cleverlys invited us to Easter diner.  I have now spent parts of 3 major holidays at the Cleverlys: Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter.  I think the only one left in that top tier that we could get invited over for is the 4th of July.  This time we ate lamb, potatoes, deviled eggs, and something that Elder Tingey thinks is pudding, but I think it could be something else, but it was really good.
                We have also officially started the new transfer.  Elder Tingey and I are in charge of all of Bastos 2 and the north part of Bastos 1, y compris Emana, Messassi, et Olembé (Comprising Emana, Messassi and Olembe).  So we have lots of work.  But one thing that will help us a lot, is in Bastos 2 we have a DMB and branch missionaries, and a weekly coordination meeting.  This is seriously the first time my whole mission that I’ve actually had all these things, so for that I am very grateful.
                We are getting ready for a baptism on May 7th.  Elder Tingey and I have 3 candidates.  The first is Frère Isaac.  He’s in Bastos 2, so I just barely met him.  Apparently he has known the Church for a while, and his wife, Soeur Cicile (spelling?) is a member.  The 2nd is Soeur Nina, la fille de la Soeur Salomé.  We have been teaching her for about 2 months now, and even though she lives far away in Messassi, she has come to Church every week she has been in town.  And the 3rd is Frère Ignace, the oldest son of Soeur Christine.  So this Sunday Christine and her other son, Sebastian, should get confirmed, and the following weekend her oldest son.
                Its also weird to only have 2 missionary companionships in the apartement.  A lot quieter.  Except for my first apartement in Bonabéri, I’ve lived in apartements with 3 companionships, and even one transfer in Pointe-Noire, inbetween the Baxters and the Gates, we had 5 companionships in a double apartement.  It also gives us a little more cleaning on pday.  And we have to cook more often, but less food.
                We also learned that President and Sister Headlee will be next coming to Cameroon between the 13th and the 18th of June.  So I will be running another zone conference before then, that we scheduled for the 18th of May.  I assume that will be the last time we see the Headlees, because I think at the beginning of July the new President and Sister Jameson arrive.
                We also watched some old General Conferences with the Longla and the Ndiemboh families (the 2 anlgophone families).  That especially helped the father of the Longla family to understand more about the temple and its importance.  With Marie-Sylvie, she is progressing really well.  But now since she wants to be baptized, we need to try to get her to go to Bastos 1 which is her real branch, but so far she has been attending Bastos 2 because she likes the morning.  And there are a few other members who have been attending branches they don’t live in.  Elder Thompson told me you have to get permission from the 1st Presidency to attend a branch other than the one you live in as an actual member of that branch.
                And there are about 10 other people that I could talk about, but we don’t have time.  But I’m glad to be busy.

Je vous aime,
-          Elder Eric Palmer
    
      Any advice for Elder Schmidt...(future DRC missionary) bring durable shoes, if you carry your camera with you during the day, put it somewhere deep in your bag, take your doxy everyday, ummmmm, let me think...

(Are you taking care of yoursel?)  I think I'm (barely) getting enough sleep, but I have started eating healthier.  Today I figured out a new good meal, that is a combo of spagomellettes and and avocado salad thing.  And I have been doing really well on vitamin taking.

And yes, when Elder Nash came up I got the package, everyone enjoyed the Reese's and candy.  And I also got 2 letters from Bishop Carter, one dated in February and the other in March, so thank him for those.

Je t'aime,
- Elder Eric Palmer

No comments:

Post a Comment