Elder Palmer (back row, 6th from left) is serving in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Kinshasa mission for
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.


Eric returned home on August 27th, 2011!!!!!

He was transferred to Yaounde, Cameroon on August 13th, 2010.


Links listed on the left are from the senior couples and Mission President!

Comments in italics are clarifications from Mom.




Thursday, April 14, 2011

Eric's email of April 14th, 2011

              Well being zone leader keeps you busy.  Yesterday we had zone conference, and the past week I spent pretty much all my study time and such planning for that.  Our lesson was on the Role of the Holy Ghost in Conversion.  I had gotten this lesson plan that I think came with the new District 2 DVDs, and it had a bunch of scriptures and Preach My Gospel passages.  I decided to split it up and each person in the zone had a scripture and a question to answer.  But I didn't really realize how it all fit together until we actually learned it during the zone conference.  I realized the first piece talked about what we need to do as missionaries to qualify for the Spirit, the second part was what the Spirit can do in lessons and in the conversion process, and the last part was what a person must do and feel to be converted.  And the last part we learned with Alma 32:26-37, and this time I understood a lot better the what one must « feel » part.
                And I’ve also spent a lot of time doing baptismal interviews this week.  At this rate this will be the largest baptism of my mission, I think.  I spent 10 hours at the Church again on Sunday.  Ça fatigue.  (So tiring)  Tuesday we went out to Ekounou to do interviews for Elder Kabwika and Elder Waite.  And today I’ll be finishing up the last couple interviews with Elder Nsimba.
                We also have been informed that on Saturday we will receive any transfer info, and that it will take place on the 22nd of this month.  Elder Tingey keeps predicting that we will go on number 4 together.
                So for this weekend Elder Tingey and I have 4 candidates for baptism.  1 is the neice of Frère Ndzana, Soeur Venessa, who is 12 years old.  Her uncle started coming back last general conference when Elder Tingey and I just called him to invite him, and then his niece started coming with him.  So I think its nice to get more members of a family in the Church.
                Our other 3 candidates are Soeur Christine and her 3 children.  This one I’m am really excited for, because like I’ve said, things haven't been easy for her since I’ve known her, with her mother passing away and having her new baby.  She first talked with the missionaries a few weeks before I got to Yaoundé, so she's been an investigator a long time.  But she has already been well integrated, she helped out with the Relief Society party last weekend, she has visiting teachers that visit her.  So everything has been put in place, and I’m hoping like crazy that it happens this time.
                We also received an amazing new investigator from Maman Natalie, the old Relief Society president.  We taught her the first time Monday afternoon, her name is Soeur Fridoline.  We taught about the Restoration and a bit of the Book of Mormon.  Maman Natalie was also with us, and she bore her testimony a lot.  Soeur Fridoline was first impressed when Maman Natalie showed her 1 Corinthians 15:29, because she had never heard of that or ever heard it taught.  So when explained that a bit, Maman Natalie shared about her wonderful experience at the temple.  We also read 1 Peter 3:18-19 and James 5:14-15, and was very impressed by all these things in the Bible that she had never understood or even heard of before.  So I learned that sometimes it is effective to use the Bible to show the things that the complete knowledge has been restored of, but references to them are sitting right under their nose!  We saw her again Tuesday, and we asked her if she prayed, and she said yes and she got an answer!  She’s planning on coming the church on Sunday, and well see her again tomorrow.
                Yesterday Elder Tingey and I also had a ground breaking lesson with Daniel, dad of the Longla family.  It had been brought to our attention that he may have a Word of Wisdom issue still.  So we reviewed it, and he said that alcohol was no problem, but that the big one to overcome now is coffee !  I wondered how in the world that could be.  But he said often at his job, their boss offers them some coffee when they work late.  I think we spent almost 30 minutes talking about coffee.  He didn't understand why just one spoonful mixed in with milk once a week at the jobsite was a problem.  He didn't think it was possible to deny that offer from his employer.  We talked about 2 other members we know who work for the same society.  We tried everything, especially the temple, but he wasn't budging.  Even nesquik.  But thankfully 2 of his kids were there : Melkior and Queentine.  Eventually they just asked/begged him to just try.  And with a few more words and a bit of silence, he accepted.  I think if his kids weren't there, we would have had no chance.
                Alright, well I got to hurry and finish up because we had a busy p-day.  We went to the gorilla park again today, so I’ll try to send some photos that Elder Tingey took.  And then we got to go finish baptismal interviews and go shopping.
Je vous aime,
-          Elder Eric Palmer
    
      Picture of the Zone at the Gorilla Park
Too bad it is fuzzy
      
      To Mom:

      I don't think there is nearly as much pollen here as in Virginia.  I never wake up to see cars covered in it.

(We are removing the swingset in the backyard and I asked Eric what we should put in its place.)  Since its not big enough for a basketball (court), I'll have to think about it more.

I forgot to say this I think, but one of Elder Tingeys friends is in the Richmond, Virginia mission.  His name is Elder Fergeson, so watch out for him.

Je t'aime,
- Elder Eric Palmer

No comments:

Post a Comment