Elder Palmer (back row, 6th from left) is serving in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Kinshasa mission for
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.


Eric returned home on August 27th, 2011!!!!!

He was transferred to Yaounde, Cameroon on August 13th, 2010.


Links listed on the left are from the senior couples and Mission President!

Comments in italics are clarifications from Mom.




Thursday, March 3, 2011

Eric's email of February 24th, 2011

Well, I just got back from the most tiring hike it seems like I’ve ever done.  This is the second consecutive pday of going hiking, and I don't really plan on doing it again en mission.  When we got back I fell asleep on the floor for about an hour.  But, its nice to see le village and things like that, its really peaceful.  Today the trail we took reminded me of being on trek.

 Look!  Eric is wearing the hat we bought for him!!!!
              
                Anyways, one person who is progressing really well is Rigobert, the 14 year old brother of Blaise.  Recently, our investigators have been having a hard time coming to church, and it seems like the only one who has been reliable each Sunday is Rigobert.  And for the past 3 Sundays from my knowledge, he has walked from his home to church.  I would guess that takes around 25 minutes.  Those are the kinds of sacrifices that I know people will be greatly blessed for, and it also strengthens my testimony.
                Elder Tingey and I also had an interesting lesson with Soeur Melanie.  She is having a lot put on her shoulders right now, and we are doing our best to help her help herself by practicing the Gospel.  Recently we have also been putting an even bigger accent on commitments and such, and the other day I invited her to prepare to be baptized.  It actually was a really helpful experience to her progression, but not in the way you would think.  Literally the instant I finished asking her to be baptized, she immediately said no, very firmly.  In short, though, that invitation or something made her open up and let Elder Tingey and I understand a lot more about Soeur Melanie.
                Wow, I almost forgot, Sunday morning we had a very, very unique experience.  A few new amis de l’eglise, who are friends of Soeur Melanie, invited us to their church.  We accepted for some reason.  Their church is called “La Cathedrale de la Foi”, or the cathedral of faith.  Le pasteur principal s’apelle Dr. Rev. Dieunedort.  Maybe they have a website, I don't know.  Basically it was very different from how we do church.  Drums and guitars were involved.  I had a slight headache after the service.  It made me very grateful to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
                I think rainy season has also officially commenced.  Now every 2 out of 3 days we get rain.  I like the rainy days better than the dry ones, because the days after a big rain, il fait tellement chaud.  (It is very hot)
                Tuesday, Elder Tingey went down to Douala with a couple other missionaires and the Thompsons to get their carte de sejours, their identity thing.  But they brought back up my actual official card, so I’m legit now!  But that day I worked with Elder Nsimba.  He knows a lot.  I don't think there is a question you could ask him without getting an answer.
                Elder Tingey and I also made a new goal, to help us improve 2 things we can improve.  This goal helps us ask for more referalls, and make sure we do our area book each night.  The rule is, during the day we keep track of how many times we ask for coordonnees, and whoever has the least has to do the area book.  I've been winning so far.  Still waiting to get that golden coordonnee, but our area book is being kept up better.
                And finally, I can't believe that in a few days will be my 18th month mark.  No comment. (Grandma Carlene asked why Eric said "no comment".)   I said "no comment" I think, because if I think about it too much I'll just get trunky.  Because 6 months is not a lot of time, especially if it goes by as fast as the past 6 months.
Je vous aime,
-          Elder Eric Palmer
   
(Pictures of a soccer game were posted on the Thompson's blog, and Eric was in the picture.  I asked if he played.)  Well, I didn't play in that soccer game, there were a billion people there.  So Elder Prince and I went and helped the Relief Society clean the chapel.  And Cameroonians play soccer with there hands, c'est-a-dire they foul too much.  Not all, but too many.

(Are you aware of the fighting going on in Libya?)  I did hear about stuff happening in Libya and everywhere.  And on Wednesday morning, Elder Thompson told us that the church or someone sent out a warning to Cameroon for us.  We were told not to go anywhere near any big crowds, because it could be some kind of riot thing.  It was mostly going to happen in Douala, and possible downtown in Yaounde.  Elder Tingey and I have both the President's house and the main Congress building in our sector, but we didn't see anything.  But those seem like they would be places where people would do that kind of thing.  On va voir.

(Each week I remind him to take his malaria meds, vitamins and all that Mom jazz.)  And yes, I'm doing all those things, except I could probably increase my veggie intake.  I plan on making beef stew this week, I found the recipe on the back of a Western Family seasoning packet.

Je t'aime,
- Elder Eric Palmer

No comments:

Post a Comment