Elder Palmer (back row, 6th from left) is serving in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Kinshasa mission for
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.


Eric returned home on August 27th, 2011!!!!!

He was transferred to Yaounde, Cameroon on August 13th, 2010.


Links listed on the left are from the senior couples and Mission President!

Comments in italics are clarifications from Mom.




Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Eric's email of December 23rd, 2010

Joyeux Noel !

I can't really believe its Christmas again already .  It just crept up on  me.  And before I forget, we need to get the phone call set up.  So as I’m looking at my program, I’m thinking Saturday evening, which is Christmas, would be good in my schedule.  I think it could be around 7 or 8 PM, and I believe that you are 6 hours behind me?  Tell me what you think about that.  I can be flexible.  And also we have the option of using Skype to call you at the Thomspons’, what about that?  But I'm thinking the best would be Christmas evening (here)  I'll call you real quick with my phone and then you could call me back.

So first, I’ll tell you about my new comp.  His name is Elder Tingey, he is from Kaysville, Utah, he started his mission back in the beginning of May this year.  He already did 4 transfers in Pointe-Noire, and he arrived last Friday night.  He already speaks French really well, and is confident and such when we contact and when we teach.  He is also the first companion that I have had that is taller than me, I believe.  So yeah, things are going really good.  I'll send a picture next week.  Oh yeah, and Elder Buck also came up from Pointe-Noire.  He's the one who went to SUU as well.

Last Friday I didn’t have a comp, because Acorda was gone Thursday morning and Tingey came Friday night, so I worked with Patrick from Bastos 2.  I had worked with him when Acorda was sick one time.  And a miracle happened that day!  We had a rendezvous with Blaise at the church, and while Patrick and I were waiting for Blaise, Adam showed up!  Adam is the the one from Sudan who you got the Arabic Book of Mormon for.  Unfortunately, I didn’t have it that day, and Adam still doesn’t have a phone and is working a lot outside of town.  But I was glad to see he is still alive.  I just got to make sure I get that Book of Mormon to him.

Also last week we played American football and basketball.  We will be playing football again tonight, but last week there was a pretty bad injury.  I was guarding this one guy, and he was playing really hard.  I thought he was playing too hard.  But then at the end of the first drive, he caught a touchdown over me, but then the second he turned around there was a stone wall.  And he hit it with his face.  I thought football was over, I was surprised that he wasn’t bleeding.  It looked really bad.  He tried to play a few more plays, but then he left, which was probably the right thing to do.  He had a fat black eye.  But, its good to play some sports again, because now we have more people that want to.  I stink, though.

We had a second rendezvousu with all of Blaise’s family.  We even brought them a 2nd Book of Mormon because they didn’t all have time to read it.  One of his younger brothers already finished 1st Nephi, and the dad takes in to work each day.  This Sunday the dad will get off work, so the family told us they will be at church Sunday, as well.  They are doing great.  Its much better to teach a whole family than just random people.

Jacques is also doing very well.  We are getting ready for his interview soon.  And luckily he is only having to work a half day on Christmas Eve, so he will attend the activity Friday at 16h00.

We have also done lots of contacting recently, and yesterday we did something that I had never done before.  We got rid of all of our French brochures.  We had to stop and reload before doing anything else.  It was a good and a bad thing.

Everyone in Bastos 1 and Bastos 2 has now found out that I play the piano, so I have now been recruited to play piano in the choir that will perform this weekend and the next weekend and church activities.  Its good I guess.  By the end of my mission I will be able to play probably over 95% of the cantiques well enough.  I think Ive decided the hardest one is page 41, its called “Pour Tous Les Saints”, its in English too.  (For All the Saints, Hymn #82)

As for my studies, I think I may have found out who my favourite Book of Mormon prophet person is.  They would ask us that in seminary and stuff, I would probably just say “Nephi” or “Moroni”, I don’t know.  But right now, I think my favorite guy in the Book of Mormon is Jacob.  I just finished reading his book, and I found a lot of stuff that I have never really noticed before.  And I really like the story in Jacob 7, where he destroys Sherem.  Pretty awesome.

Alright, I think that’s about it for me.  Et je dois souhaiter des bonnes anniversaires à Dad et à Scott ! (And I need to wish Dad and Scott Happy Birthday)  I can't believe Scotts gonna be 18 and Dads gonna be, well, yeah.  Have a Happy (Anglophones say that rather than “Merry” here) Christmas, and let me know about that phone call.

Je vous aime,
-         Elder Eric Palmer

Hey Dad,

So if you text me there would be no problem, and that would cost me nothing to receive.  But I think a safe time to say would be 7:30 my time, which will be 1:30 chez vous, because we will go see some people Christmas afternoon/evening.
But would it be ok if I just call you real quick when I'm ready, and then you call me back?  That's what we did on Mothers' Day last time.

For Christmas Eve, we will actually be going au champing-ing, with Maman Natalie.  Then we will get back and have a couple rendezvous, and then the Elders Quorum will be doing an activity about the birth of Christ at 4, and then we are going over to the Thompsons.  And the elders from Ekounou (other side of Yaoundé) will sleep at our apartement, wake up, open some presents, eat breakfast at the Thomspons', go play basketball, go to the Cleverly's, and then visit some people.  I think that is our Christmas plan.
Will I buy myself a Christmas gift... maybe.  It might well come in the form of food.

Je t'aime,
- Elder Eric

Hey Mom,

(Mom knows some Tingey's from High School)  So I just asked Elder Tingey, and he said he thinks Craig Tingey is his second cousin or something, but he knows hims probably.  He said his whole family is from Bountiful and Kaysville and such places.
Alright, I don't see many questions either.  I'm excited to talk to you too, I said that Sunday evening here would be best for me.  I'll plan on calling you between 7 and 8 my time and then you can call me right back.
Je t'aime,
- Elder Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment