Elder Palmer (back row, 6th from left) is serving in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Kinshasa mission for
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.


Eric returned home on August 27th, 2011!!!!!

He was transferred to Yaounde, Cameroon on August 13th, 2010.


Links listed on the left are from the senior couples and Mission President!

Comments in italics are clarifications from Mom.




Saturday, July 31, 2010

Eric's email of July 28th, 2010

Les Questions Vites: (Quick questions)

Well, maybe I just forgot to say this, but yes, the new couple has already arrived in Pointe-Noire. I thought I already talked about them because Mom asked me to ask them something last week. But I'll do it again for Dad, who may now be showing signs of aging (just kidding). The new couple is Elder and Soeur Gates qui vienent de Orange County, Californie. What to say... they are awesome, Elder Gates drives us to basketball and plays with us, Sister Gates is full of energy and makes delicious food. Elder Gates also talks lots of smack during basketball. I don't know really what to say, but they will be great missionaries.

Elder and Souer Gates


Yes, my glued together shoes are holding up perfectly fine. No need to send any of those things. I can't really think of anything I need to have replaced that you will have to send. As long as I don't lose or misplace anymore white short sleeve shirts (I only have 6 now somehow, I thought I started with 7 or 8, and I also lost my grey pants a long time ago, no idea.) But I have also accumulated a lot of ties, plus the 2 new ones I just got. One thing I will recommend to every missionary coming to Africa or somewhere like this, or maybe just anywhere it would be good, buy dark ties, that will not look too gross or disgusting if they get dusty. Because I have a few that are.

No, we don't really have movie night that often here. Every so often we may watch a church movie, but last zone conference Pres Headlee said that he thinks movie viewing should not become a weekly thing anymore. So once or twice on p-day we could watch a nice church move. I want to watch those "Work and the Glory" movies, cuz Ive never seen them.

I will be sending many pictures in a separate email.

Today we had a cool experience, we got to go see what an African funeral is like. There was a member of the church, who was actually baptized by Elder Parsons just in April, that past away 2 Tuesdays ago. He was about 30 years old I would say, I noticed most that he studied the Book of Mormon a lot, and even had created his own tabs for the books. He is the only member of his family right now. But when he was younger, he had to get a shot for something. Unfortunatly here, many times they do not do the shot correctly, and do some pretty big damage. That had happened to him, and he pretty much walked on his hands, his legs were pretty much unusable. But about a month ago, he went to the hospital, and they were pretty sure he had a hernia. He was in and out of the hospital 3 or 4 times, had surgery once. But 2 weekends ago, after he had stayed in the hospital for about 10 days after surgery, he went home. He actually seemed to be doing better, making improvement. But then on Tuesday, we went back to the hospital, and later that day he passed away.

So today was l'enterrement, but before they took him to the village. They had a service thing, I don't know the name. But funerals are interesting and different here. We got there a little late, but the Gates' told me the branch president said some things, and some other of his relatives. But when we got there, there was music and dancing, people caring the coffin around in circles and chanting stuff. Sister Gates told me to get a video of the music and dancing, so I did. But those kinds of things are always good to go to I think, to see what other cultures do. For me, I'm just thankful to have a knowledge of the Plan of Salvation, and I wish that all those other people there could have it too.

Also things with Elder Bally and I are going a lot better as of late. We were having some difficulties, mostly with what manner to go about doing missionary work. But now its better, I think he has realized that I am not going to completely change and teach how he likes, and I don't expect him to do the same thing. Its still kind of hard to find middle ground, but its going a lot better. Et ça ira.

Elder Palmer and Elder Bally


Oh, we will also be moving apartements this Monday. President wanted to have more missionary apartements in the areas that we work, and we have one that we cleaned today and Elder Bally and I will move there with Elder Tingey and Elder Kesler. But then there is another one, and we may have to wait up to 2 months to go there, but Elder Bally and I (assuming we are both still here) will move down there again later. I don't like moving.

All the Elders and Souer Gates while cleaning the new apartment.


Just so you know, I've eaten all the candy you guys sent me, thanks for everything again, except I still have the cookies. I didn't realize until this morning that I have to make them, so that's pretty much the only reason why I haven't eaten them yet.

Eric's dinner of rice, french fries, ketchup and mayo.


So I just sent the pictures, I hope they got there successfully. Enjoy the hot humid weather. I wouldn't actually be surprised if its hotter chez vous than it is ici.

Je vous aime bien,
- Eric

A "green" at a local golf course.

No comments:

Post a Comment